Ched Evans

Discuss the hot topics going on in the world today

Ched Evans

Postby Tribal » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:50 pm

Was convicted, sentenced and served his time for rape. He has always and continues to maintain his innocence.

Since his release from prison in October, his attempts to return to his profession and gainful employment have been thwarted by public opinion, petitions, columnists in many of the daily newspapers.

I think he continues to be punished. Is he supposed to become a road sweeper? When will he have been deemed to have paid his debt to society? Why are we hell bent in destroying this man's life? Do we look to footballers, reality TV "stars" and that whole zeleb culture for moral guidance? I really don't get the outrage about this guy getting a job.

Awaits wrath part II :P

The League One club and the Professional Footballers' Association are expected to make a joint statement on Evans' future.

Oldham Athletic confirmed on Monday that they were considering offering the striker a possible route back into professional football.

Sky sources close to the negotiations have confirmed the club are still working to secure a deal with Ched Evans and confirmation of a deal could come later on Tuesday.

The 26-year-old former Sheffield United player was jailed in April 2012 for raping a woman in Rhyl, North Wales.

He was released from prison in October and has continued to maintain his innocence.

Two of Oldham's sponsors have threatened to cut ties with the club if the convicted rapist is signed.

Craig Verling, director of Verlin Rainwater Solutions, which sponsors a stand at Boundary Park, said on Monday the company would cut ties if Evans was allowed to train with the club.

He said: "The club know our stance and that is if they sign or allow Ched Evans to train we will be out of the door."

Mecca Bingo also said it would end its association with the club if the move goes ahead.

More follows...

http://news.sky.com/story/1403154/oldha ... ched-evans
His Royal Vileness
I've had lesser experiences

Re: Ched Evans

Postby xtras » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:12 pm

I dunno with this case.... all parties were intoxicated, the woman in question has not claimed rape just couldn't remember..

both men acted disgustingly really taking advantage of a woman who was in no fit state..

too drunk too consent too drunk to remember....

http://chedevans.com/
Like anyone would be
I am flattered by your fascination with me

Postby xtras » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Clayton McDonalds interview...

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... ks-6788373

Football star Clayton McDonald has spoken for the first time of his horror at being wrongly accused of rape.

The former Walsall FC defender has exclusively revealed his “year of hell” before he was cleared in May 2012.

He spoke out after seeing fellow footballer Nile Ranger, who plays for Swindon Town, also cleared of rape last week.

Midland football star McDonald was accused of raping a 19-year-old woman at a Premier Inn in Rhyl, in May 2011, along with fellow footballer and close friend Ched Evans.

Ex-Welsh international and Sheffield United striker Evans was convicted at Caernarfon Crown Court in April 2012 and was sentenced to five years. He is due for release in October and has continually denied the offence.

And McDonald is supporting Evans’ bid to clear his name.

Both players admitted having consensual sex with the woman, but she told the jury she had no memory of the events.

The prosecution case alleged that she was ‘too drunk’ to consent to sex.

McDonald, aged 25, said: “It was a year of hell for me. I had never been in trouble with the police before. I couldn’t understand why this woman was saying all these things. I felt numb.”

McDonald and Evans, also 25, have been pals for years.

They both played for Manchester City, had holidays together, and even shared a house near the Etihad Stadium.

Then Evans was loaned out to Norwich City and was later transferred to Sheffield United for £3 million. He became United’s top scorer and a Welsh international.

Maenwhile, Man City loaned McDonald out to Walsall. He later left the Midland club as a free agent and joined Port Vale, where the giant 6ft 6ins defender helped them win promotion last season from League Two to League One.

“Port Vale manager Micky Adams and the club were great whilst all this was going on,” Clayton said.

“At times, though, it was very difficult to concentrate. They gave me support and encouragement.

“I was trying to rebuild my life there before, during and after this court case.

“As a pro you have to try to cope – but it’s so hard when you’re accused of something you haven’t done.

“I wasn’t guilty of anything but had to prove it.

“Ched, too, is innocent and I can’t understand why he was found guilty. We were both there.

“The woman agreed to sex with both of us. I know he is an innocent man and will do anything to help him.”

McDonald, who now plays for promotion-chasing Grimsby Town in the Skrill Premier League, and could face a play-off final at Wembley, outlined the events from his traumatic ordeal.

“I had never met this woman before. When I came outside from a kebab shop something was kicking off, and when I went towards a taxi this woman bumped into me,” he said.

“She asked me where I was going, and when. I said I was going back to my hotel; she said she was coming with me.

“She agreed to have consensual sex. I texted Ched and told him where I was.

“He came down and asked if he could join in. The woman agreed and I left.”

A few days later, while McDonald was visiting his mother’s house in Crewe, Evans arrived, followed closely by two plain clothes police officers from North Wales.

“They wanted us to go back with them to Rhyl on suspicion of rape,” he said. “I can’t remember everything now because it was all a blur.

“I had never been in trouble with the police before, and I couldn’t believe it.

“They seemed friendly and chatty, and said it would all be sorted out.

“We weren’t cautioned and we went back to Wales in the same car as them. They asked us about what had gone off, and we explained.
Like anyone would be
I am flattered by your fascination with me

Postby kitty » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:00 pm

I don't agree at all, my sympathy is entirely for the victim in this case. She has been hounded and vilified and forced to change her identity 5 times now. Never once has
Ched suggested his supporters leave her alone, in fact his horrible website attacks her as well. He was released early despite showing no remorse or understanding of what he has done and thinks he can get on with his life and forget about it. He is still on licence and is on the sex offenders register, not someone I want to see kids supporting.

Postby Argan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Whether he was innocent or not he has served a prison sentence. For almost any other crime this would be deemed to be enough and he would be free to work again. I'm not really sure why this should be any different. Some people have also said things like "my children come to this club" as if he was a paedophile. I think it might be something to do with the prestige and obscene amounts of money footballers get and they see him as unworthy. I'm sure they wouldn't object to him earning a minimum wage at Asda.

E-Moll

Postby MG » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:54 pm

Totally agree with Argan that his fame is affecting perception of how deserving he is of vilification.

The best option in terms of morality and human decency would have been to have packed this girl off in a taxi home. I think it reflects badly on them that they didn't. According to a court she was raped and should therefore be treated with empathy and compassion, just like any victim of a crime. The manner of her being hounded is disgusting.

However, he has served his time and should now be allowed to resume his career freely but rightly or wrongly his will always haunt him.
Carpe Librum

Postby kitty » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:31 am

Imagine if you were a sponsor for a football club though, do you want your business associated with a convicted rapist? I sure wouldn't. His fiance's father is rich and has offered to employ him, so I'm sure he will not starve.

I don't accept that he has served his sentence either, he is still on licence and could be returned to prison if he breaks the terms of it. Once that has been served it may all go quiet. His website and TV interviews have a lot to do with the weight of ill feeling towards him. If he showed any concern whatsoever towards the girl who has done nothing wrong, that would have helped. She will never be able to get on with her life as before.

Personally I wish him a life of misery, but that's just me.

Postby kitty » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:42 am

I also do not think they behaved badly towards her, I think they raped her, both of them. Clayton got away with it because she clearly agreed to go to a hotel room with him, obviously drunk as she was. She made no such agreement with Ched and did not even know he was on his way, summoned by a text saying " I have got a bird". By the time he arrived, she was naked and having sex with Clayton and he just let himself in to the room. I do not believe by then she was in any state to agree or not agree to anything. Meantime his brother and pal were trying to film it all through the window. The blurry footage shows her unresponsive and possibly passed out.
Utterly depraved behaviour.

Postby FluffyBunny » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:32 pm

kitty wrote:I also do not think they behaved badly towards her, I think they raped her, both of them. Clayton got away with it because she clearly agreed to go to a hotel room with him, obviously drunk as she was. She made no such agreement with Ched and did not even know he was on his way, summoned by a text saying " I have got a bird". By the time he arrived, she was naked and having sex with Clayton and he just let himself in to the room. I do not believe by then she was in any state to agree or not agree to anything. Meantime his brother and pal were trying to film it all through the window. The blurry footage shows her unresponsive and possibly passed out.
Utterly depraved behaviour.

I concur with this Kitty and your previous post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Uhf3gM1m0

The Emaulizer

Postby Vassago » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:40 pm

I think I'd be fine with a rapist being given the bum's rush from a position of heroism/idolatry. Not sure about this one though as it seems to be hotly contested.

Postby Tribal » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Oldham Athletic have signed him on a two and a half year deal despite a petition and sponsors threatening to withdraw. I think it is right that the employer should decide who to employ and not a petition. People can vote with their feet if they do not want to see him.
His Royal Vileness
I've had lesser experiences

Postby Les » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Reports are saying that Oldham refused to let him join, but he did anyway... :ninja:

Postby kitty » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Les wrote:Reports are saying that Oldham refused to let him join, but he did anyway... :ninja:

I only find rape jokes funny if the rapist is the butt of the joke. That one doesn't quite manage it.

Postby Les » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:58 pm

kitty wrote:
I only find rape jokes funny if the rapist is the butt of the joke. That one doesn't quite manage it.

Yeah, apologies, not a great joke. The guy I copied it off got short shrift too, I only noticed after the cut and paste.

Postby kitty » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:40 pm

Tribal wrote:Oldham Athletic have signed him on a two and a half year deal despite a petition and sponsors threatening to withdraw. I think it is right that the employer should decide who to employ and not a petition. People can vote with their feet if they do not want to see him.

Oldham have backed out of the deal now. Much as I detest Ched Evans, they should have made sure they were going to stick to their guns before making announcements and then backing down. Same with Sheffield.

All of this must be absolute agony to the girl in this case. >:(

Next

Return to News and Current Events